Fort ‘de la Montagne’ was just a few hundred metres outside of Montreal on the flanks of Mount Royal as it appeared in about 1690. It featured, A: chapel of Notre-Dame-des-Neiges; B: mission priests house; C: turrets also used as a school by the sisters of the Congrégation; D: barn also to be used as a shelter by women and children during attacks; E: turrets; F: Indian village. The turrets indicated in ‘C’ can still be seen today. Sketch in C.P. Beaubien, Le Saut-aux-Récollet, Montréal, 1898.